Wednesday, May 20, 2009

My Norman

I'm into day 5 of playing my new (to me) Norman Bernal handmade 16" viola. I've wavered from absolute delight to utter frustration. This is a wonderful instrument... so light, so responsive, so incredibly easy to play. But that's where some of the frustrations lie...it is unforgiving. I've told several people that it's like learning to play on a K Mart guitar and then being handed a Gibson.

I think I love it. I'm trying to break in the new Dominant strings Nathan included. I've never used them before and on top of the usual pitchy-ness of new strings, they sound just weird at times. I did a little searching on the net today and found several mentions of Dominants sounding metalically for a 7 to 10 day period. I think that must be what I'm hearing. The flute quartet plays the offertory at NAPC Sunday, so I hope the strings have settled and mellowed by then.

I want to play all the time!!!! I will post a picture soon.

No comments: